Thursday, February 15, 2007

Ok, Already! - Notes from a Lagging Blogger

Yes, I'm a negligent blogger. It is the busiest time in my life. I feel I am in boot camp; everything after this will be easy by comparison.

I've been getting some inquiries from friends like: did you switch blog addresses? (Flattering that anyone checks, really.) Now I am realizing that rather than write each and every one of you an email, I can just write this all once and refer you to it. Just as impersonal as a Christmas form letter! I do actually love corresponding with my pals all over the world, but this will save time for now until graduation (only 68 days away, but whose counting?).





Things I'm up to:
  • I am making a web-based tool for a tenant's rights organization in Lower East Side of Manhattan (Will get to travel there with my team for assessments research! Keeping the NYC connections flowing!).
  • Helping write a grant for the National Science Foundation to give my current university employer (Social Science Data Analysis Network) some $ to make a digital library. We are partnering with the Interuniversity Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), so there is a lot of research and coordination with that, too.
  • Plus four classes: business information management (very practical), digital governments (love it) , graphic arts (fun to use the dormant creative part of my brain), and Content Management Systems (so practical, with a meaningful project, and I have a great team).

I also just took a second job as a web analytics trainee at a local interactive design firm. The company is in the top 50 for Advertising Age's Interactive Agencies, and it's a great place to work. The skill set I will be learning is the fastest growing segment right now of the IT industry; a shortage of professionals trained in it. I feel incredibly lucky to get this chance to learn something so valuable in the market place.


So, provided I survive these next 9 weeks, I will soon be free from school - for a good loooong while, and can get my life back!! I can't wait to read for pleasure again, and have a nice list that I am drooling over. I'm so psyched to be getting my life back and having the skills to have some degree of freedom again. Can't wait to travel, travel travel!!!

I have no idea what will happen after graduation, and I feel so busy now that I can't even think about looking for work. However, I have a list of 19 employers I want to work for, and will begin the resume drops in March at Spring Break. There is a possibility I may stay in Ann Arbor for a couple of years if I can get a decent offer with the right situation. Otherwise, I am looking at New York, mostly, for the fact that I have a great friend and professional network there, but also would consider Philly, SanFran and Atlanta if particular employers were to make an exceptionally great offer.

I also have an opportunity to travel to London the last week of March for an emetrics conference, as I have been offered free admission (to a $2k conference) if I work as a student volunteer. I know London is so expensive to live, and quite a long shot, but I'll be packing some resumes if I do decide to make the trip (depends on the tax return)!!!

I should also mention a recent fascination with virtual worlds. I have been having a dialog with some similarly interested classmates about the potential and implications of Second Life, an online sim, where I maintain a "life" complete with house and friends. I have also been having a lot of email discussion about the virtual reality medium with some bloggers, and through this correspondence I was recently asked to write a column for a web zine about SL relationships, as that is my area of interest (electronically mediated human-to-human interaction, NOT so much Human-Computer Interaction, as my school promotes). So I may be doing that soon in addition to everything else!!!

Anyway... i think that's all the news that's fit to print. Not much but school, work, school, school, work, school. I'll write more insightful things later....

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Only 68 days, huh? 68? (That was a while back anyway.)

Hang in there, Private Carter. I might be able to help with web programming. We do check on your blog. Thanks for posting. Love, Bo.

2/28/2007 12:31:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Information said...

hey, Bo...thanks for being one of the few that understands the significance of 68. Now I am at 43...wow. Drupal is the content management system I have been working with, It's capable of a lot, but as an open source CMS, there are many modules people post that are buggy for repurposing and the debugging is frustrating an time consuming. But rewarding to get something working and know it is from the open source community...I'll be there in Tennessee in June for a visit and to fetch my dog for good. We'll hang out. xoxo

3/05/2007 07:06:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

You should totally go to the Emetrics Summit! It's really worthwhile, particularly if you're job hunting. Jim Sterne is a really great guy as well. I was offered 6 jobs when I went to it last year, and everyone knew I already had a job! You'll have a marvelous time if you can find a way to get there.

3/12/2007 05:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home