Friday, September 01, 2006

Rebecca Goes to Yale

Last year I worked as a research assistant, interviewing organizations in the Gulf South about how they fared during and after the record-breaking and often devastating hurricane season. To make a long story short, we found that social networks were strongest when butressed with the use of technology. Access to technology, primarily through the Technology Opportunities Program Grant, facilitated social networks, enabling valuable assistance through the storms' immediate aftermath, and also through recovery.

So the work I did for the hurricane study was to assist the research of this very cool woman who is a Ph.D. grad and research fellow of my school, now teaching at Dominican in Chicago, and she found an upcoming conference at Yale that is examining what the hurricane revealed about the political climate of the area. We submitted an abstract for consideration, and I have been invited to present at the conference in November!

So this is very exciting news. Although in a way I wish that my first academic presentation were somewhere a little less intimidating. Like at Appalachian State or something (no offense, AS-ers. I'm sure quality education exists in more places than just the Ivies.)


Yale at night...

One thing we noted was that the name of the conference is quite negative. It's called "The Death of New Orleans: an exercise in political thought." Harsh! Last time I checked, New Orleans was still there. My friends and family still make thier homes there. They have jobs and go shopping and eat at restaurants and have schools and a mayor, just like the the rest of America. Just that thier rents doubled, or they are living in a potentially poisonous FEMA trailer. So I'm not sure why the title is so dramatic. Our research reveals actually a positive aspect of social resiliency through the whole disaster, so I'm hoping to shed a little sunshine on this dark view of New Orleans. Can't wait to do this, and also see other talks about this very important subject, especially from a political perspective.

Ironically a friend from my days living in New Orleans is now living in Hartford, so I hope to meet up with him while in New Haven for the conference. It's only 30 minutes away, and I'm actually looking to fly into Hartford, as it's cheaper.

Today is the first of September. School starts next week. I live in a charming old apartment building that is surrounded by several mansion-like fraternity and sorority houses, and just now (it's after midnight) am hearing the muffled roar of a thousand drunken conversations, punctuated with ritualistic "Greek" chants, wafting in with the chilly, fall-tinged air through the trees and into my open windows. Somehow feels nostalgic, as I know this will be my last real year of "college." So rather than be annoyed that my peaceful Ann Arbor summer is over, I am enjoying it for its novelty in my life. It's cool to be here among all these hopeful, earnest young people as they come to live in Ann Arbor to prepare for their lives through education.



UM Student lounging in the Law Quad...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home